Katherine Gaylord
Chapter
Bristol, Connecticut
Connecticut Daughters of the
American Revolution



Chapter History

The chapter was formed on April 19, 1894, four years after NSDAR was established. It was the eighteenth Connecticut chapter to be formed. Mrs. Florence E.D. Muzzy was the organizing regent. On June 18, 1896, a monument to Katherine Gaylord was dedicated by the chapter in the old Burlington burying ground. In 1906, the chapter began the first evening school in Bristol for the education of immigrants. The chapter has planted memorial trees throughout the city and placed flags on the graves of Revolutionary soldiers. On May 28, 1985, a monument to these patriots was dedicated on Memorial Boulevard. The Centennial Celebration of the chapter was held April 14, 1994.

The chapter was named for Katherine Cole Gaylord. Katherine Cole was born in Harwinton, Connecticut, on November 28, 1745. She married Aaron Gaylord about 1763, and moved to New Cambridge, now known as Bristol. Aaron served as lieutenant for the Continental Army and is believed to have been at the Battle of Bunker Hill. After his service, the family moved to Wyoming, in eastern Pennsylvania. In July of 1778, a large number of Indians with British soldiers massacred the small militia from the fort. That night, after hearing of her husband's death, Katherine took their three small children and escaped from the fort. For weeks they traveled, mostly on foot, back to Connecticut, braving Indians, weather, hunger, and fatigue. The family made it back to Katherine's father's house, where she lived until she was 95 years old.


Modify Website

© 2000 - 2017 powered by
Doteasy Web Hosting